In a hurry and nothing planned for dinner? I adapted the following from a Los Angeles Times recipe so long ago I can’t remember when. The meal can be created from ingredients most people have on hand. Serves four to six depending on how many ingredients you add.
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced longways, or chopped
- ½ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (in tomato sauce, or add a little tomato sauce—not ketchup)
- 1 can pinto or cannellini beans (if using the latter, add at the last minute)
- Handful of uncooked pasta
Saute the onion for a couple of minutes, add garlic and carrots, cook until barely tender. Add 2 cans of chicken broth, 1 can of diced tomatoes (and sauce), ½ tsp basil, ¼ tsp oregano and bring to a boil. Add a handful of uncooked pasta and simmer for ten minutes then add the can of beans, including the liquid and heat through. Other vegetables, meat or chicken can be added as desired. I usually add one or a couple of the following meats: chopped lamb, chicken thighs, turkey kielbasa.